Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

#9 - Question Marks

This is one of my favorite poems about waiting on God. Since I've been at another stage where the Holy Spirit is telling me to wait for Him to lead, this has been an encouragement once again.
Picture Father writing the story of your life. And you, like the child you are, ask a question about the future eagerly, but somewhat impatiently. Father writes out the question, but pauses on the question mark, smiling as he draws the question mark, leaving the answer until the perfect time...
And so, we too can learn to enjoy the wait even as we look forward to what God has planned in the future.

Question Marks

You were a calligrapher
When it came to question marks,
I would wait for the response
But you’d leave me in the dark

As you lavishly would pen
Strokes with elegant design:
First you’d primly sweep a hook,
Then you’d dot a break in time—

Now I’ve come to do that, too,
Loving the elaborate curve;
Making art from question marks,
Leaving answers in reserve;

Though before I hated pauses,
I have learned to wait them through,
Knowing that the answer comes
When the chosen time is due.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such an incredibly beautiful way of painting a concept. Waiting seems hard at times, but I've come to enjoy the waiting and doing the things God's placed in front of me at this very moment. The little things in life have the greatest meaning most often times. Live one day at a time. The future is in God's hands, and He's got a wonderful story all written out. I can't wait for Him to turn the page, but I'll enjoy what's in this sentence while I'm here.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

Live one day at a time. The future is in God's hands, and He's got a wonderful story all written out. I can't wait for Him to turn the page, but I'll enjoy what's in this sentence while I'm here.

Learning that is the key to contentment. I pray that that truth will continue to be more real to you every day!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Brianna Graber said...

That was great....a lot of truth in there, that we easily forget. As Grace said, and we've talked on a bit, living one day at a time is the best way to do it....trusting God, enjoying the pauses...

8:29 AM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

living one day at a time is the best way to do it....trusting God, enjoying the pauses...

Amen! It seems to me like our lives would be a lot happier if we could learn to enjoy the pauses. I'm still working on it...

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home