Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Saturday, June 09, 2007

#15 - I Never Knew

This poem was inspired by the Casting Crowns' song "Prodigal". I was imagining the prodigal longing for forgiveness (aren't we all there?), but not expecting to find it, then seeing his Daddy running to him with open arms. Then he takes off, as fast as his legs can possibly go, to reach the open arms of forgiveness.
This poem has been a reminder a the amazing power of forgiveness to change a life forever.

I Never Knew

I never knew what speed could mean
Until I saw a prodigal
Who flew into his father’s arms
Which, open, thawed a frozen heart…

I never knew how tears could flow
Until they sprang from joy’s new day,
The flavor of forgiveness tasted
And mercy sang from every heart…

I never knew what love could do
Until that day the world was changed—
The simplest gesture, open arms,
Has wiped away so many wrongs…

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem. One note though, its the Father who ran to the Prodigal, not the other way around. If we but turn, God does the rest.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

One note though, its the Father who ran to the Prodigal, not the other way around.

True, but if you see the thoughts I included above, I wrote this imagining the prodigal seeing his father's forgiveness and running as fast as he could to meet it...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Brianna Graber said...

Forgiveness is awesome, amen? That was great...I really like the 2nd stanza. It is so true that forgiveness can change a life forever....

~Brianna

12:59 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

That is, I was imagining the hope and joy would rise up in the heart of the prodigal when he saw his father running to him.
I was thinking of the hope and joy that springs up in our hearts when Father holds out forgiveness to us. The goal was certainly not to show that he had to run to his father in order to receive the forgiveness!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

Forgiveness is awesome, amen?

Incredibly awesome! This poem was an expression of how powerful I believe it can be to change our lives!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, I agree; forgiveness IS awesome. Amazing to think of God with His arms wide open even after we walk so far away from Him . . . Every time I read your poems, I'm reminded of how great and awesome God is. =D

5:25 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

Every time I read your poems, I'm reminded of how great and awesome God is.

That is certainly my prayer. I'm very glad that anything I have written has been able to do that.
I pray that my poetry will always point to God and his love for us.

9:44 PM  
Blogger TreasureSeeker said...

/me relishes it.

mmm.... someone pass the hot chocolate and marshmallows. I love it.

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home