Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Monday, June 11, 2007

#13 - Alone

This is my favorite free verse poem. I wrote this last summer during a season of loneliness; I saw so clearly that the vain pursuits that we so often spend our life pursuing are nothing compared to the joy found in a simple friendship with someone you can trust.
This poem is based on one of my favorite quotes: “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” –Robert Louis Stevenson

Alone

Loneliness
Stretches across the horizon,
I step forward, knowing
I have yet to take a million more,
A million steps that echo
In my empty heart.

I see another bridge to cross alone,
Another day to walk alone,
Another meal to eat alone,
Another dream
To dream
Alone…

I see so clearly, now;
The man on top of a world
I can’t be a part of—

I could be the richest man,
The most famous man,
The best poet the world has ever seen,

And all this
Would be nothing
Compared to the joy
Of traveling
With an honest friend.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brianna Graber said...

Really liked that one. I like the free verse style there...it still flows well.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this one as well. It brings to mind a verse I hear Sunday morning. "God sets the lonesome among families." It's great to know that I have such a wonderful and loving family, even when they get on my nerves sometimes. It's also great to be part of the family of Christ. While I enjoy my alone time, I've found that having one or two friendships that really mean something truly is one of the greatest things in life.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

"God sets the lonesome among families."

That is a really neat verse...

11:22 PM  
Blogger TreasureSeeker said...

   I have yet to take a million more,
   A million steps that echo
   In my empty heart.


Hey bro, I have to point something out about that number.

You don't know that. ;-)

You don't know it's a million more. It could be more or less. That number is not for you to look at. It isn't for any of us to look at.

So here is to the less-than-a-million-steps journey. Here is to the one-step journey that begins and ends in and with God.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

Here is to the one-step journey that begins and ends in and with God.

I'll second that!... :-)

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home