Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Friday, June 08, 2007

#16 - Wholeness

This poem is one of several I wrote about what God was teaching me about the value of brokenness in 2004. The last stanza has continually been an encouragement to me over the years since.

Wholeness

Crushed into powder and tossed to the wind,
Scattered across the expanse of the beach;
Standards were high, but I tripped on my feet—
All of my goals tumbled far out of reach!

Who could discover the bits that remain?
Millions of broken desires share this space;
After my labor is this my return?
Now it appears that my work was a waste—

Destitute, severed, a vapor of sand,
Longing to win, I fell far from the goal—
Now God can use me, ’cause self is destroyed,
Though I am nothing, ’tis here I am whole!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow . . . that means a lot to me right now . . . thanks.

*sighs* I'm striving so hard for a goal, a standard, and yet . . . it seems like no matter how hard I try . . . it's unreachable . . . I just don't want to be broken.

What does God want me to do? It's the million dollar question, and I'm not sure that I know the answer . . . I might know some of it, and I don't know how much I like it. Time to let go of me, isn't it? If I really want God's best for me, then I have to let Him take charge, 100%, which means doing things that I might not be too thrilled about . . . but I have to do them because that's what God's called me to do. I do want to do those things, but . . . it's really, really hard . . .

6:21 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

Time to let go of me, isn't it? If I really want God's best for me, then I have to let Him take charge, 100%, which means doing things that I might not be too thrilled about . . .

I know it is hard, I've been there before, and am still there now. Letting God take charge is something we have to do over and over again, because we have a tendency to try to take control back for our lives.
But as you know, when we do just let go of everything, even the desire to be used itself, He will finally use us in ways beyond our dreams!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Brianna Graber said...

Loved it! Reminds me of the song I've been pondering alot lately, "Brokenness". If you let your flesh get in the way...it can seem difficult to have to follow God's plans, not our own. But I've seen it-been there- and it's a whole lot better. The actual breaking process may hurt- but God's good all the time, and the wonderful, glorious beauty and freedom (there's that word again!) that comes worth it....is worth every dream given up, every plan scattered to the wind. :-)

7:06 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

the wonderful, glorious beauty and freedom (there's that word again!) that comes with it....is worth every dream given up, every plan scattered to the wind. :-)

That is a beautiful way to express it.
It is so hard to give up those dreams, but yes, every time it is worth it...

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home