Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

#24 - Paved With Petals

I wrote this poem in 2005, after the whitewater rafting trip we took during which two of our four rafts flipped at Dimple Rock. Knowing that one of us easily could have drowned (people have drowned at Dimple Rock before), Mike and I decided to work on not taking people for granted. This poem has lived on as a reminder to be thankful for each friend God has put in my life.

Paved With Petals

When you had paved the path with petals
I’m certain I was very glad!
But time eroded gratitude,
’Til I was dull to all I had—

In time I wrongfully assumed
That roses cover every road;
It wasn’t ’til I traveled far
I saw the beauty you bestowed—

And now I’m coming home again,
To lovely paths with petals paved;
I’ll crown each piece with smiles of joy,
And thank you for the gifts you gave.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brianna Graber said...

That was beautiful, and such a great, oft-needed reminder. How often we take people, and the sacrifices they make, the extra mile they take for us, etc., for granted- only to find that it's not always like that after all. I've though a lot lately about the fact that we might only have today to live...so don't forget to let people know how much they mean to you, and to also be that "always there" friend for others...

~Brianna

7:22 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

I've though a lot lately about the fact that we might only have today to live...so don't forget to let people know how much they mean to you, and to also be that "always there" friend for others...

It is always good to keep that in mind... If only we could live every day like that, maybe we won't let fear hold us back from loving each other like Christ wants us to.

Ben

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very lovely poem. =D Things like this are so easy to forget yet imperative to remember. I've always enjoyed the beauty and pictures of your poetry. Thanks again for sharing.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

I've always enjoyed the beauty and pictures of your poetry.

Thank you Grace, that's very encouraging to hear... :-)

Ben

10:35 PM  
Blogger Brianna Graber said...

[i]If only we could live every day like that, maybe we won't let fear hold us back from loving each other like Christ wants us to.[/i]

Yes, so very true- you couldn't be worried about what others might think, if you rub them the wrong way- you'd have to, as you said, love them like Christ loved them- because it may be your last day.

~Brianna

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home