Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tearing Off the Mask

This poem was inspired by an article a friend wrote: Freed From Bondage
I think that even though we have been set free, like the Galatians it is easy to find ourselves slipping back into bondage. Paul's reminder to them was: "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."
With this in mind, I embrace freedom once again.

Tearing Off the Mask

The pious smiles that carved our faces
Told all how well we kept the law,
But could not free our souls from chains,
Nor help a frozen heart to thaw;

The grim despair we wore when fasting
Spoke volumes of our piety,
But deep inside, we starved for freedom,
For law held not salvation’s key…

But then a power smashed the chains
Which held my in its fatal grasp,
I then heard freedom calling me
To take the chance to tear my mask,

While terror screamed at me to stay,
I leapt upon the foaming sea—
The laws and guilt were washed away,
And in Christ’s love I found I’m free!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,
Thanks for your comment. Your poem was great- I really liked the vivid imagery. Have you ever heard "Stained Glass Masquerade" by Casting Crowns, along the same topic line? That's one I really enjoy. Yes, it is indeed great to be free!
~Brianna

9:44 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

Have you ever heard "Stained Glass Masquerade" by Casting Crowns, along the same topic line?

Yes, I've heard it and liked it. It has challenged me many times, since I'm the type of person who finds it difficult to make myself vulnerable.

Ben

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem. I like the images as well. It's very hard for me to open up around people as well. I just smile and say that I'm doing fine. There are about three people in my life I'm comfortable opening up around, and often it's a challenge even with them. But God wants us to have close fellowship with other believes, and He never asks us to do anything on our own. He's an awesome God, isn't He?

5:28 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

But God wants us to have close fellowship with other believes, and He never asks us to do anything on our own. He's an awesome God, isn't He?

What makes it tough is when we've been hurt by someone; but through the power of God's forgiveness true reconciliation can take place. He can do amazing things in our lives if we let Him.

Ben

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home