Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Diving in the Waves

Picture this: a young man who steps out in faith, doing something that seems radical to the world, because Christ is calling him. His dreams come crashing down, and he wonders why Christ called him to walk by faith if it was going to result in such a mess. But then he finds that Christ is standing by his side with a smile on his face, and he takes Christ’s hand and leaps forward into whatever comes next, whether it involves the greatest joys or the severest trials.

Diving in the Waves

I stepped out on the water
Where Jesus called my name,
And was knocked down by a wave—

I thought I was drowning,
But found I didn’t sink,
And when I looked up I saw Jesus
Standing at my side
With a smile on His face—

So I leapt up on the waves
And dove into their midst,
Then leapt and dove again,
With laughter beating down my tears
And a joy that breaks through the night.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great mental picture. It's easy to trust when things are going well, but much harder when you think you're failing . . . But God is always there. He keeps His promises and upholds me in His righteous right hand. Always.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

But God is always there. He keeps His promises and upholds me in His righteous right hand. Always.

I agree! I've tasted moments where I felt like my faith was being tested (this poem, like so many I write, is actually a reminder to myself), but I still believe that Christ is with me helping me through whatever comes.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God has gifted you with an amazing gift for writing poetry. Thank you for sharing your work. I pray that you will continue to use it to glorify the Lord and testify to His greatness!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

Thank you, Amanda. Your prayers are appreciated. I also pray that I will continue to use whatever gifts God has given me to glorify Him.
Ben

12:31 AM  
Blogger TreasureSeeker said...

A friend told me a "story", I'll try to relay it here. It's similar to the poem in some ways.

There's a story about some preachers out at a lake. After swapping fish stories, they begin talking about the different miracles Jesus did and even things that have happened in their congregations. They begin to wonder what it would be like to walk on the water as Peter did. All but one starts laughing about the possibility of it ever happening.

Then one of the preachers leaves, walks to the end of the lake's pier and steps off. He falls in the water and swims back to shore, to the laughter of the other preachers.

Then he says something along the lines of, "At least I tried."

The other preachers shut up and walked away.


Personally, I'd rather be wet than dry and laughing on the shore. Even better, I'd like to be dry and walking on water than laughing on the shore. :-)

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home