Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Welcome to the Real World

This poem is an interesting mix of doubts and faith. I wrote it when I was struggling with doubts, yet clinging to faith at the same time. Faith wins out in the end, as it always does in the real world...

Welcome to the Real World

I’ve built my castles in the sky,
Of dreams where I thought God had lead,
But now they’ve fallen with a crash,
And tasted depths of mud instead—
“Welcome to the real world”…

I have a heart that longs for home,
But I can see no place to stay,
I look for answers, every echo
Says no one hears the prayers I pray—
“Welcome to the real world”…

And so I’m asked to grow mature,
To seek no halls of love and grace,
When it’s forgiveness that I long for
I will not find it anyplace,
Living in the real world…

But if a man has conquered death,
And lives to intercede for men,
Then I am sure to find forgiveness
If I but turn and knock again—
This would be the real world!

And when I chose to walk in faith,
Ignoring all my foolish doubts,
I see the door to love is opened,
And I am greeted with a shout:
“Welcome to the real world!”

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. This is Grace from gameday. I didn't know you wrote poetry! I think poetry is an art form, and sometimes sometimes only the author knows the real depth to the emotion behind the words. I liked it, though. Is there a mistake in this line: "I have a heart for longs for home"? Should it say "I have a heart THAT longs for home"? Just a little confused. =P

3:35 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

Hi Grace. I'm glad you like my poetry. Often times people that I meet don't know I'm a poet for a while, unless they meet me through the web. :-)
Thanks for pointing out the typo.
Blessings,
Ben

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I've been reading some more of your poems, just clicking the titles that catch my eye. I don't usually like poetry, but I really like yours. For some reason, I can identify with it. I can understand the emotion behind it. I will have to come back and read more later. I find your poems a true reflection of God's hand in your life.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

I don't usually like poetry, but I really like yours. For some reason, I can identify with it.

Thanks, Grace, that's about the best compliment I've ever received as a poet! :-)
May God bless you!
Ben

8:47 AM  
Blogger TreasureSeeker said...

This reminds me of Steven Curtis' Chapman's poem put to music ;-) "Heaven in the Real World"

Where is the hope, where is the peace?
That will make this life complete
For every man, woman, boy, and girl
Looking for heaven in the real world


Until we begin to see with God's eyes, we'll see a dim reflection. But when we look at Christ and see through His eyes, "Welcome to the real world!"

The world we are learning to live in. :-)

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is insanity to the world is sanity to God and what is insanity to God is insanity to the world.

hehe sometimes the craziest things in life become our source of sanity. It isn't crazy. It's the sanest place to be! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

9:40 AM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

hehe sometimes the craziest things in life become our source of sanity. It isn't crazy. It's the sanest place to be!

Amen! It is always encouraging to remember that when you feel like a fool for your faith, or you feel like faith had lead you in places you really don't want to be...

Ben

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home