Climbing Rainbows

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:16

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Alone

I came across a couple poems again that are two of my favorite free verse poems I've written. They were both written last summer during a time when I was struggling with loneliness, and they both have a similar theme. Here is the first one:

Alone

Loneliness
Stretches across the horizon,
I step forward, knowing
I have yet to take a million more,
A million steps that echo
In my empty heart.

I see another bridge to cross alone,
Another day to walk alone,
Another meal to eat alone,
Another dream
To dream
Alone…

I see so clearly, now;
The man on top of a world
I can’t be a part of—

I could be the richest man,
The most famous man,
The best poet the world has ever seen,

And all this
Would be nothing
Compared to the joy
Of traveling
With an honest friend.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...


I could be the richest man,
The most famous man,
The best poet the world has ever seen,

And all this
Would be nothing
Compared to the joy
Of traveling
With an honest friend.


I think that was what was the most painful thing about where I used to live. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and yet, I had no one to share it with. There was so much to enjoy, and no one to enjoy it with.

12:06 AM  
Blogger TreasureSeeker said...

I'd echo every word Sarah said. That was what was one of the most painful things for me. There were a few moments when it was truly one of the more ugly places a person could see or be, and I thank God that place no longer exists.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/linkinpark/mydecember.html

I'm not sure whether the first, second, or very last stanza of that "poem" describes what I felt. It was definitely the truth of how I thought I felt.

11:18 PM  
Blogger TreasureSeeker said...

Oops. The link didn't work. Here.

My December

And I give it all away
Just to have somewhere
To go to
Give it all away
To have someone
To come home to


At one point in time, that "all" literally meant just about anything... sight, hearing, a hand, job, education, life left on earth, you name it. In the most depressing sense of the word "all".

11:20 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Graber said...

One of my life's greatest dreams has been to have close friends that I can share my life with. Interestingly enough, God has almost never made those dreams come true in the ways I have expected. But at the same time, He has given me very good friendships in places I never expected.
I still hope that someday God will provide someone who will spend the rest of my life with me, but for now I am content with where God has me, and amazed at the ways He has been faithful in a multitude of ways.
Blessings,
Ben

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home